Saturday, July 9, 2011

Long Day

Today was a long training day 90 mile ride on the CompuTrainer and then a 10 mile run.  I had never bricked that long before (6hrs total).  I felt like Ethan Hawke being mentored by Denzel Washington...

You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home? Huh? 
Except, that while I was biking I watched today's stage of the tour and Denzel Washington looked more like Phillipe Gilbert and Ethan Hawke was one of the Schlecks (pick your favorite in the picture).

Good luck trying to catch me you ninnies!

This is probably too long of an analogy to get to what I'm trying to say.  Basically, my 90mi ride and 10mi run schooled me just like Denzel did to Ethan and PhilGil did to the Schlecks.

My 90mi ride took me 4:40:00 (19.3mph), which is quite a bit slower than I want to ride in IMWI.  My 10mi run was wicked hot (~90deg F) and I ran out of water/heed fast.  I had to stop 6 miles in to fill up at the gas station because I had already drank 24oz of fluid.  I definitely needed more access to water/GU/food/Coke on the run.  The good news is that I think I'm a lot closer to nailing my nutrition on the bike.  I was at about 200 Cal/hour for the first 4 hours (1 scoop heed and 1 GU each hour).  Then I had a 210 Calorie PowerBar Harvest Energy bar at 3:45:00, which sat very well.  I didn't have any GI issues on the bike or run.  I had nearly 80oz of pure water and 56oz of HEED total.  I could have probably used a bit more fluid.  

No comments: